[ppml] My view on IPv4 (was: Re: IPv4 wind-down)

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Mon Apr 2 19:09:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> They don't *HAVE* *TO* buy it. They only have to go to ARIN's whois
> directory, find a nice block with a US address, and start using it. It
> will work fine everywhere that people accept their route announcements.
> Of course that might be limited to one country, or perhaps a handful of
> neighbors as well, but it will work.

I think the US is the only country where a large number of people would
consider a "Internet" that only works within their country to
"work"  -  Even then, we are largely talking about the MySpace
demographic.   Anyone that uses any but the most popular open-source
software is heavily dependent on global connectivity.