[ppml] My view on IPv4 (was: Re: IPv4 wind-down)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Apr 2 18:48:47 EDT 2007

> - it's unfair that more than 50% of all IPv4 address space is
> held by
> US entities which then get to make a lot of money from them, while
> the developing world holds next to no address space and would
> have to
> buy it from richer countries

They don't *HAVE* *TO* buy it. They only have to go to ARIN's whois
directory, find a nice block with a US address, and start using it. It
will work fine everywhere that people accept their route announcements.
Of course that might be limited to one country, or perhaps a handful of
neighbors as well, but it will work.

That's why a market in IPv4 space will never develop. Once the addresses
get scarce enough to be valuable, people will just start using what they
need without asking.

--Michael Dillon