[ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing withIPv4AddressCountdown

Yves Poppe Yves.Poppe at vsnlinternational.com
Mon Apr 2 11:38:01 EDT 2007

I would suggest we try to think outside the v4 vs v6 plane; practically nobody on the user side cares about IP versions; only applications count.

The tipping point for IPv6 will will be a critical mass of end devices and applications turning on IPv6 by default. As part of the product  replacement cycle IPv4 will suddenly start to fade away at an accelerating rate and few outside our little community will have noticed or even care. My guess for the tipping point?  2010

And while we philosophize, the countdown to the last routable IPv4 address continues.

IPv6-phobics and diehard legacy product affionados will always be able to take refuge in the interNAT.  Maybe they deserve a reserve space.

Yves Poppe
Director Business Development IP Services
VSNL International