[ppml] Policy Proposal writing

Sandy Murphy sandy at tislabs.com
Thu Oct 5 12:17:15 EDT 2006

>I think that if you gave that as a "mission statement" to a
>WG, the result might not be what is intended.  I believe
>the intention is to prepare certificates with all this stuff,
>the above makes it seem that entries in WhoIs could be the
>end goal.

The original proposal's intent was to collect/publish the
authenticated list of authorized prefix originations (herein after
referred to as ALAPO) in the ordinary ARIN templates.

The new goal-oriented proposal would support collection of prefix
originations by any means, templates or PKI or whatnot.

I think it would be really nifty if there was an EASY button for
converting database entries into PKI certificates.  (From what I
understand of Geoff Huston's presentations, APNIC is doing that.)
If there were, a database that contained this new info would convert
to what Steve Kent calls a ROA - a Route Origination Attestation.

But the proposal just says that ARIN will collect the info (means
at their choice) and publish the info (means at their choice, with
some caveats about bulk publication and use restrictions in the
original proposal).

--Sandy