[ppml] proposed updates to 2006-4

Houle, Joseph D (Joe), CMO jdhoule at att.com
Fri Mar 31 13:27:46 EST 2006

Andrew:
   You sparked a thought...
   This "reserve" concept is a little orthogonal to ARINs standard Mode
of Operating, isn't it?   Isn't ARINs normal model something like:
"We'll allocate you this block, now go away until you've demonstrated
good usage?"
   We're likely talking about fairly big corporate IT organizations here
right?   These organizations are likely going to have multiple "sites"?
(Whatever a site ends up really being.)
    Why doesn't ARIN just allocate a large enough block in the aggregate
to the corporation.    Block size should be large enough that most (95%
maybe) corporations will never need to come back to the ARIN trough.  I
don't know if a /40 or a /44 or whatever is that size.
    Keeping ARIN allocations above the "site-level size" keeps open the
opportunity for maintaining some level of aggregation in the IPv6 global
routing tables.
    Also, allocating the whole block should have a significant lower
administrative cost on ARIN than managing the reserve concept and
responding to each /48-sized request.
    We shouldn't be overly wasteful here, but the trade-off between
address conservation and simplicity should be somewhat different here in
IPv6 than it was in IPv4.

Joe Houle