[ppml] IPv6 initial allocation policy

Anthony A. Crumb Crumb_Anthony_A at cat.com
Mon Mar 13 11:07:27 EST 2006

My organization has begun working through the definition of an enterprise
IPv6 acquisition, allocation, and deployment strategy. I was charged with
identifying the process required to acquire IPv6 address space from the
three registrars (ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC) from which we currently have
carrier independent IPv4 allocations. Our thoughts are, because we have a
dual carrier connected Internet POP within each of these IPv4 allocations
we should request provider independent IPv6 space from each of the
registrars. Imagine my surprise when I found that each registrar has
adopted a policy that does not allow for the assignment of carrier
independent IPv6 address space to end customers. This policy runs counter
to an obligation to our customers, supplier and dealer to provide no less
than two connection paths into and out of our Internet facing network
application environments. Not to mention robbing us of the leverage needed
to be able to shop our very considerable WAN circuit business between
carriers. Is anyone aware of a coalition of companies that is working
together to over turn this policy?

Anthony A. Crumb
Enterprise IP/DNS Management
Global IT Solutions, Caterpillar Inc.