[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Fri Jun 30 18:13:09 EDT 2006

Well put.

Marla

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Schiller (schiller at uu.net) [mailto:jason.schiller at mci.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:47 AM
To: brian.knight at us.mizuho-sc.com
Cc: stephen at sprunk.org; Azinger, Marla; ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Not that I am in favor of de-aggregation but...

I see the problem very simply, either it is OK to consume one slot (or
more) in the global routing table to make multihoming work or it
isn't.

If it is OK to consume one slot (or more) in the global routing table to
make multihoming that that should be equally true if the slot contains
either a PA or a PI prefix.

Why and end site prefers PI or PA is a very personal question with no
standard answer.  One possible reason is cost, another is administartion,
a third is the number of organization they need to interact with, never
mind if they qualify or can corectly fill out the paper work.  The fact of
the matter is that there are some customers that easily qualify getting
their own space from the RIR and beg us to give them PA space.

The only difference I see between PI and PA space is that if deaggregation
occurs, you can depend on the fact that all of PI is likely to be
deaggregated and not have an aggregate, and all of PA is likely to have
aggregates, and may or may not be deaggregated.

This is only important if you later decide that deaggegrgation was a bad
idea and change the policy.  You can filter out the more specific PA
address and fall back to the aggregates, you can filter the more specific
PI addresses and break reachibility.

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.