[ppml] 2005-1 status

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Tue Jan 24 11:52:22 EST 2006

cja at daydream.com wrote:

> We should be distingushing prefixes based on assignment block ranges not
> by length of prefix.

Experience shows that assignment block range discriminators are not
nearly as practical as prefix length discriminators.  Look at the
trouble people have with bogon filters.

This is not to imply that anyone should or should not filter prefixes
based on any crieteria.  That is really not the RIR's business.
However, just as I believe RIR's should make efforts to "not prevent"
aggregation (as opposed to mandating it), we should see this opportunity
to "not prevent" practical filtering.  Especially when the cost
is minimal.

Plus there are other reasons already stated for making the minimum
assignment larger than /48.

- Kevin