[ppml] 2005-1 status

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Jan 24 11:09:23 EST 2006

Bill Darte said:
> Imagining, just for the sake of argument, that the ensuing
> oligopoly is
> represented by 12 'super' providers and a few thousands of
> niche, value
> added, local providers....what then would be the impact on
> the router table given common practice (BGP)?

I'm not sure it's relevant to the policy proposal, but I'm not
sure the question has been asked:  Does de-aggregating for
traffic engineering play a part?

I've never been a traffic engineer.  Looks to me like BGP is
designed with lots of knobs to determine how bits flow away
from you, but fewer knobs to determine how bits flow toward
you, none of which extends beyond the neighbor AS (unless they
choose to propagate).  With multiple neighbor ASes with different
policies, the only tool is to deaggregate announcements in
careful ways.

Is this characterization accurate?
Should engineers be able to determine how traffic flows toward
them?
Will the need for traffic engineering by deaggregation be a
major pressure on routing table size in the future?

Lee