[ppml] 2005-1 (was: Re: Policy without consensus?)

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Jan 24 11:00:38 EST 2006

Yes, that's a clearer statement of the requirement.  I need to
be able to renumber fast enough that my whole network isn't down.
I can declare a maint window, but I can't manually renumber a few
thousand hosts in that time.  I can hit a few routers and/or DHCP
servers, and several static servers.

> Multihoming gives you connectivity reliability or helps.
> Ease of renumbering or PI space gives you performance
> liability by ensuring
> that connectivity competition exists for you.
>
> Assuming multihoming, in the absence of that flexibility, who
> compensates
> you for the loss?  If BIG guys get that benefit and little guys can
> effectively renumber without duress, it's the middle guy who
> gets screwed.
> If no one gets PI space, then the little guy is the only one
> to escape.
>
> Multihoming and flexibility to choose among providers are a
> requirements to
> move to v6 for most I think, unless v4 address depletion
> causes crisis, seems to me.

I agree with everything you say.  The requirement is for me to be
able to change providers.  PI allocations are not the only way to
do that.

Lee