[ppml] ARIN's Interpretation of 2003-3

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Tue Jan 17 11:32:06 EST 2006

Michael,

5-digit ZIP codes do not identify street names or numbers, though 9-digit
ZIP+4 codes often do.  Is there any requirement that ISPs use ZIP+4 codes
instead of 5-digit ZIP codes when dealing with Private Residences?  The
small sample of WHOIS queries I just did show mostly 5-digit ZIP codes.
If ZIP+4 codes are not required, then I don't believe that inclusion of a
(5-digit) ZIP code constitutes disclosure of identifying information that
should be obfuscated.

-Scott