[ppml] Fw: IRS goes IPv6!

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 22 20:41:15 EST 2006

--On February 22, 2006 9:51:19 AM +0000 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>> As such, I cannot advocate such a policy.  It is likely to create a TWD
>> or swamp of relatively large proportions as every man, woman, and child
>> makes a run on IPv6 address space.
>
> Here we go again. Somebody declares that a policy will
> create a swamp and that is a bad thing. But no definition
> is offered for the term "swamp" except a cryptic acronym.
>
> All I know about IPv4 is that there was a swamp and it
> must have been a good thing because it happened during
> the exponential growth phase of the IPv4 network when
> the Internet moved out of the universities and laboratories
> to become a USEFUL NETWORK for businesses and ordinary
> folks. If we need a swamp to do that, then I vote for this
> swamp thingy, whatever it is.

Actually, that's technically not true.  The swamp was created
during the period leading up to said exponential growth.  At a
very early stage prior to the actual exponential growth, the
AGS routers running the backbone started to have trouble containing
the routing table and the CIDR hack was inflicted on the internet
as the only rapidly available solution.  Don't get me wrong, I
think it was the right thing to do at the time.  I just think
that now it is time to come up with a more permanent and less
debilitating solution.

Owen