[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services (experimental)

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Sat Feb 18 11:55:29 EST 2006

On 02/17/06 at 12:14pm -0800, David Williamson <dlw+arin at tellme.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, the possibility for abuse of the policy to acquire /24s
> for multihoming was the primary grounds for rejection.  The length
> argument struck me as somewhat secondary.  Still, it's an interesting
> argument.
>
> I did a bit of an experiment, and picked one of the three /24s I have
> free and announced it.  While it's true that some providers seem to
> happily forward any /24 that falls into their routing table, there are
> definitely route-servers out there that aren't seeing that route.  To
> be honest, I can't see why that route isn't appearing.  It's clearly
> getting filtered, but that could be because it's a longer prefix out of
> a netblock that has shorter (i.e., /22) allocations.  It could also be
> that someone picks up route policy from a routing database that we
> aren't presently in.

This matches what I would expect, and IMO is insufficient evidence of
unreachability to support a new IPv4 Micro-allocation policy.

I would modify your experiment slightly as follows:

 - Announce the /24 while continuing to announce the larger block.
 - Register the /24 in RADB or an RR it mirrors.
 - Check the route-servers as you did before.  Note the AS paths seen for
the /24.  Also note the AS paths seen for the /22 (or whatever your larger
allocation is).
 - Pull out all the AS paths seen for the /22 but not for the /24.  Using
the assumption that any such networks will forward your traffic based on
their route for the /22, reconstruct the AS path the traffic will take,
and determine where in that AS path it will reach a network which does
have your /24.

The idea here is this: say you have PA space from NSP X, and are
multihomed to NSP Y and Z as well, possibly in two different locations.
You want to run anycast using a /24 (A) you got from NSP X.  For
argument's sake, let's say that prefix A is a subnet of NSP X's /8
aggregate, and there are no other overlapping subnets of A in BGP.

In my experience, NSPs X, Y, and Z will all accept your /24 from each
other.  In addition, most other NSPs with a global presence will also
accept it.  Some regional networks on other continents will filter your
/24, but will still accept NSP X's /8 aggregate.  Ditto for some smaller
domestic ISPs who buy transit from NSPs.

In this case, a foreign NSP F, which filters /24's, will not see your /24.
Instead, they will send traffic to that netblock towards NSP X.  Let's
assume that your link to NSP X is down.  In that case, NSP X will get the
traffic, and see that their best route for it is your /24, which they're
hearing from NSP Y or Z.  They'll forward the traffic along to you, and
the only minor ill effect will be that NSP F sent the traffic via NSP X
instead of direct to Y or Z.

Now, let's consider the case where you get a /24 micro-allocation from
ARIN.  Let's assume that at least initially, some netblocks will fail to
update their filters to allow /24 announcements from ARIN's anycast
micro-allocation block.  In that case, there will be no larger aggregate
for them to fall back on, and therefore traffic to your /24 will be
blackholed.

Given these scenarios, I think it is better to do anycast out of a larger
PA or PI netblock, rather than trying to get a /24 directly from ARIN for
the purpose.

> That said, I'd love to hear feedback from folks at other major ISPs.
> Has *everyone* relaxed the /22 route filtering limit?  The intent of
> this policy is to have blocks of an appropriate size for the
> application handed out in a way that will ensure global reachability.
> If *any* of the top volume ISPs do filter based on RIR policy guidelines
> (and several have historically), then longer prefixes from 'normal'
> blocks won't really suffice.

As argued above, I don't think that /24 filtering equals unreachability in
most cases.

> That desire for global reachability is the one of the primary
> motivations for this policy.

And IMO you should already have global reachability today.  Any attempts
to use PI /24 micro-allocations would IMO reduce your reachability, not
improve it.

Given all that, I will be opposed to 2006-5 unless you can show me that an
anycasted /24 out of a larger netblock is truly unreachable from
somewhere.  Given the widespread acceptance of /24 subnets, and the
overlapping coverage of a larger aggregate, I don't suspect you'll find
any such situations.

-Scott