[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 13 20:11:12 EST 2006

> One of the key issues is trust. There is a clear view that RIR data can
> be trusted where as RR not so much. This is both because RIR data is
> typically more up to date and because RIRd have (typically financial)
> relationships with ip address holders and take steps to verify who they
> are.

That only makes sense when you compare an independent RR to RIR whois.
When you are comparing RIR Whois to RIR RR, the trust issue seems, to
me, at least, to be identical.

> Now as far as relationship part of this equation it is possible to
> communicate such trust by electronic means (yes pki signatures) and that
> is one of the issues SIDR will hopefully look at. But PKI and signing can
> be considered heavy-weight and idea of adding data directly into trusted
> authority information service is light-weight and easy to do.

RRs already use PKI as one way to control authentication for submissions
of RR data.  I don't know what the ARIN RR uses, but, I do know that
is a valid method used by Merit RADB.

Owen