[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Tue Aug 29 19:28:33 EDT 2006

At 06:18 PM 8/29/2006, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

>Kevin Loch <kloch at hotnic.net> writes:
>
> > Martin Hannigan wrote:
> >> Here are the members, for the most part, of the DFZ
> >> (as compiled today):
> >
> > I always interpreted DFZ as "default free", not "transit free".
> > Is this usage common?
>
>If you have an ASN and you take routes from one or more upstreams &/or peers
>and
>therefore you do not have a default route in your network
>then
>you are part of the DFZ.
>
>Bringing up whether or not people pay for transit or peer all their
>traffic off to other big players or mooch free transit from their
>friends' companies simply clouds the issue.  The DFZ contains everyone
>who gets indigestion from internet routing table growth... from
>basement multihomers to major universities to large enterprises to
>multinational ISPs.
>
>                                         ---Rob

I've already admitted dyslexia, and I may have some acid indigestion to
confess to as well now. The posting of the ranking was supposed to be
neutral and I apologize for the URL's. I'm on a windows box and .... :)

Posting the ranking was specifically targeted at:

"Your definition says, "the routing table in a peering
 >router of any member of the default-free zone will consist
 >of the "Global Routing Table" "
 >I took "member" to be "router," since I think of a routing
 >table as a router's routing table.

... which I intepreted to mean a network of the
authors caliber - which are likely to be settlement
and default free in the situation as described.

It is important to have an understanding of the
economical practices of these networks, although I'm
not sure if this is on topic. I'd be happy to elaborate
on this over a taco and a coke. :)

Thanks for helping to be clear on the DFZ definition. I
appreciate that.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com