[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue Aug 29 11:24:07 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:55:53AM -0400, Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> > P.S. many of the larger network operators will also operate
> > IP networks and IP internetworks that are not part of the
> > public Internet. They may not be default free in those
> > extra-networks but that is not relevant. The concept of
> > Default-Free Zone only applies to the public Internet.
>
> How do you tell the difference?

It doesn't really matter, but we commonly refer to the specific
internetwork that has the most routes and greatest content diversity
with a capital 'I".  The rest of them are just internetworks.  I'm
connected to a couple of those...the largest one has 8 ASes and perhaps
50 prefixes.  It's default-free, but no one would confuse it with the
public Internet.

Since we seem to use capitalization to discriminate the differences,
internetworks like the one I described above are default-free, while
the public Internet has a Default-Free Zone.  Not a good standard,
but people seem to understand this one intuitively.

-David, dreaming of faster route convergence for large internetworks