[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Aug 24 01:13:59 EDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Jason Schiller wrote:
> But that still leaves part of the question unanswered.  Is it worth noting
> that the intent is that this micro-allocation for critical infrastructure
> is not intended to be advertised to the global routing table (without
> trying to set routing policy)?
> Just wondering if people find value in that as part of the policy, or is
> clearly understood?

I think putting it in terms of 'advertised' is a bit backwards.
Rather, you should ask something like:

   Do packets legitimately including a source address from this address
   block ever get sent over the public Internet?  (YES/NO)

I'm not sure if I'd want to see internal, non-routed infrastructure
blocks being used to send packets (e.g., traceroute responses) which
cannot be dropped by uRPF and other ingress filtering mechanisms.

That aside...

I looked at the policy proposal, and the BGP re-convergence rationale
seems to be quite odd or outdated.  This is exactly the reason why
e.g., JunOS supports 'routing-options - resolution - rib FOO - import'
configuration.  We've used that ourselves for years now and there is
no issue with numbering the BGP sessions from the aggregate.  I'd
suspect Cisco supports similar configuration, or would easily to be
fixed to do so.

Internal structure considerations also doesn't apply, as your
neighbors and customers can static-route to your internal block unless
you implement packet filtering at your borders.  Hence, I cannot see a
scenario where packet filtering wouldn't be sufficient.