[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

Jason Schiller schiller at uu.net
Wed Aug 23 12:43:00 EDT 2006

Michael,

I have two questions for you:

1. Are you in favor or opposed to this policy?

2. You mention that you can guarantee that there will be zero impact on
the public Internet routing table.

The original policy had some text saying that this micro-allocation MUST
not be routed.  But there were objections about ARIN not setting routing
policy.  So this text was completely dropped from the current policy
proposal.

We considered softening this statemet to something like:
This micro-allocation should not be routed.  Or It is intended that this
allocation should not be routed.

One post on ppml last spring suggested that the language should be
strengthened to be some thing like:

This micro-allocation MUST not be routed.  If an organization is found to
be routing their micro-allocation for internal infrastructure they must
either correct this mistake or surrender thier micro-allocation for
internal infrastructure.

Do you think 2006-2 is better with or without text on if the
micro-allocation for internal infrastructure should not be routed in
the global Internet?  If you think text should be added to 2006-2 about
routing this space, do you prefer weaker or stronger text?

Comments for others are also welcomed.

Thanks,

__Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.