[ppml] ARIN requiring corporate paperwork for an orgid?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Aug 11 16:34:23 EDT 2006

So I'll admit its been a while since I've had to do paperwork as a "new
user" of ARIN, but recently I helped somone submit an OrgID registration
so that they could more easily manage a couple of SWIPs, and got back:

> Please provide either:
>
>   - a URL to a state or province database showing the
>     specified organization name is a registered business.
>
>   OR
>
>   - a fax to ARIN with a copy of your Articles of Incorporation, a copy
>     of your state charter, or your business license. Please note
>     ARIN may ask you for additional information including (but not limited
>     to) a copy of your business license, your federal or state tax ID,
>     Dun & Bradstreet information, etc.

At what point did ARIN start requiring you to submit documentation on your
corporate status to get an OrgID? We're not even talking about entering
into a direct relationship with ARIN (e.g. obtaining an ASN or direct IP
space), an OrgID is just a record in the whois DB that makes managing
resources and contact information easier. In this case, it is to receive a
SWIP.

Was there a policy change regarding this that I missed? The closest thing
I see on the website is http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2003_16.html,
but this is quite clearly marked as Abandoned. Under what policy does ARIN
conduct this verification, and is it really the best use of their time and
resources? I'm having a hard time picturing any value gained from this.