[ppml] IPv6 PI for all organisations who already have IPv4 PI (Was: Resurrecting ULA Central ...)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Apr 21 11:28:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 14:20 -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> [..]
>> We could probably try it as a global experiment with existing ipv6
>> with setup like:
>>   8 bits - IPv6 ASN experiment global prefix
>>   32 bits - ASN number
>>   24 bits - local network address if possible last 24 bits of ipv4
>
> There is something which already exists for all of this: 6to4:
> See RFC3056, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3056.txt
>
> This will give you, based on your IPv4 address space that you have a
> very nice IPv6 /48 per IPv4 /32 that you already have.
>
> Thus if you have say 192.0.2.1/24 (IPv4 TestNet ;) then you
> automatically have:
> 192 => 0xc0  0 => 0x00   2 => 0x02   1 => 0x01
>
> Thus:  2002:c000:0201::/48
>
> But it is a /24, thus it is much bigger (32-24 = 8):
>
> Making: 2002:c000:0201::/40

Yes, I know about 6to4. What I wrote above is different - there ASN is what
gives you unique network and use of IPv4 address in local-network address
part is an option to allow companies to switch over faster to ipv6 without
rearchitecting their network (and possibly even with some automated device
that will do ipv6<->ipv4 translation in this way). This BTW can be done
with current IPv6 proposals as well as long as most companies get /48
which is what current proposals all guarantee.

> Which you are officially allowed to use when you 'own' the IPv4 /24.

There seems to be issues with multiple announcements of 6to4 space, so I
can not really announce that /40 or /48 directly.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net