[ppml] IPv6 PI for all organisations who already have IPv4 PI (Was: Resurrecting ULA Central ...)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Apr 21 05:22:04 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 14:20 -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
[..]
> We could probably try it as a global experiment with existing ipv6
> with setup like:
>   8 bits - IPv6 ASN experiment global prefix
>   32 bits - ASN number
>   24 bits - local network address if possible last 24 bits of ipv4

There is something which already exists for all of this: 6to4:
 See RFC3056, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3056.txt

This will give you, based on your IPv4 address space that you have a
very nice IPv6 /48 per IPv4 /32 that you already have.

Thus if you have say 192.0.2.1/24 (IPv4 TestNet ;) then you
automatically have:
192 => 0xc0  0 => 0x00   2 => 0x02   1 => 0x01

Thus:  2002:c000:0201::/48

But it is a /24, thus it is much bigger (32-24 = 8):

Making: 2002:c000:0201::/40

Which you are officially allowed to use when you 'own' the IPv4 /24.
Reverse delegations are also possible btw.

There is one issue though:
 The current RFC3056 section 5.2.2 specifies that:
8<-----------------------------
   On its native IPv6 interface, the relay router MUST advertise a route
   to 2002::/16.  It MUST NOT advertise a longer 2002:: routing prefix
   on that interface.  Routing policy within the native IPv6 routing
   domain determines the scope of that advertisement, thereby limiting
   the visibility of the relay router in that domain.
----------------------------->8

6to4 thus solves the "I want globally unique address space" question.
It does not solve the "I require a routing slot".

Though of course, you could just announce a more specific and see who
accepts it. Or announce it and convince people to start accepting it.
If thou have cash it willeth beeth accepteth ;)

PS: Two side notes:
1) Do to the way that 6to4 functions it is nearly impossible to easily
   debug any connectivity problems as one can't know the backpath it
   travels as BGP doesn't tell you which 6to4 relay is being used.
2) Address selection is a lot of fun. If you have a 2001::/16 prefix
   and a 6to4 address on the same host, then 2003::/16 destination will
   use the 6to4 source, though 2003::/16 should be 'native' and thus
   most likely routes better from the 2001::/16 interface.

Greets,
 Jeroen