[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6Assignments for End Sites - Last Call

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Apr 19 20:46:37 EDT 2006

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com>
> Question for those of you in favor of the policy proposal:
>
> If you're not ISP / IP carrier:
>
> Are you planning to obtain an IPv6 PI prefix as per the proposed
> policy and then deploy, say, 25% or more of the services you now
> provide over IPv4 over IPv6 using those addresses? And if so, how
> soon would this happen?

My employer will apply for a prefix as soon as we have at least two carriers
that offer (a) native IPv4 and IPv6 on the same pipe, (b) at the same price
as IPv4-only connectivity, and (c) agree to accept a PI route.  Currently
zero of our carriers meet either of the first two condititions (and we
couldn't ask the last until now), but they'll be in the next RFP that goes
out.  I'm not sure when our current contracts are up for renewal, so I can't
give a date, but IIRC it'll be within a year or so.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin