[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Wed Apr 19 09:50:15 EDT 2006

At 02:58 AM 4/19/2006, Owen DeLong wrote:

>*** PGP Signature Status: unknown
>*** Signer: Unknown, Key ID = 0x0FE2AA3D
>*** Signed: 4/19/2006 2:58:09 AM
>*** Verified: 4/19/2006 9:43:13 AM
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>

>--On April 19, 2006 2:18:52 AM -0400 Martin Hannigan <hannigan at renesys.com> =
>
>wrote:
>
> > At 12:25 PM 4/10/2006, Divins, David wrote:
> >> Due to popular demand....Attempt number 3 at an accurate Subject :-)
> >
> > During the XVII meeting, I talked to the author of the residential
> > privacy policy, David Divens, and Aaron Hughes, regarding their
> > concerns over residential and business privacy.
> >
> > My suggestion to the AC (and proposers) regarding
> > proposals would be a rewrite to accomplish the following:
> >
> > - eliminate differentiation between residential and business
>
>I strongly oppose this provision.  There is no reason to remove
>address accountability from business orgs.

How would you do this?

[ snip ]

> > - creating a confidential/undercover registration clause to allow
> >    LEA to mask registrations for investigative, intelligence,
> >    or other purposes as long as they identify these to ARIN
> >    staff AND ARIN is able to handle such information per FISA, Title III.
> >    CALEA, and other applicable regulations (IANAL). This
> >    follows a concept invoked by DMV's related to license plates.
> >    (and a memory jogging by Heather Skanks - thank you!)
>
>Sorry, I just don't see a need for this.  The black hats have plenty
>of IP space from DoD and lots of other sources and they're plaing
>on their own networks anyway.  This just provides another layer of
>headache to ISPs and doesn't benefit the community in any way.
>Convenience at concealment for government ops. is the last thing
>I want to see expanded under the current administration.

I meant to say they would inform their provider. Providers who have
customers who have such a need are already set up to function this
way and would merely be a workflow issue for them, if not simply
legitimizing the inaccuracies they are already sending.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com