[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 19 02:58:08 EDT 2006

--On April 19, 2006 2:18:52 AM -0400 Martin Hannigan <hannigan at renesys.com>
wrote:

> At 12:25 PM 4/10/2006, Divins, David wrote:
>> Due to popular demand....Attempt number 3 at an accurate Subject :-)
>
> During the XVII meeting, I talked to the author of the residential
> privacy policy, David Divens, and Aaron Hughes, regarding their
> concerns over residential and business privacy.
>
> My suggestion to the AC (and proposers) regarding
> proposals would be a rewrite to accomplish the following:
>
> - eliminate differentiation between residential and business

I strongly oppose this provision.  There is no reason to remove
address accountability from business orgs.

> - designate /29's and smaller as private

Since smaller than /29s are already non-swip entities, that's
de facto already for smaller prefixes.  I would rather not
move the boundary left to /29 since it would obscure so many
current assignments.

> - reduction of NA postal codes to 3 characters

I'd rather see 5 in terms of US ZIP. 3 is the bulk mail center.
5 is the serving post office.  In Canada, 3 seems to provide
similar granularity.

> - creating a confidential/undercover registration clause to allow
>    LEA to mask registrations for investigative, intelligence,
>    or other purposes as long as they identify these to ARIN
>    staff AND ARIN is able to handle such information per FISA, Title III.
>    CALEA, and other applicable regulations (IANAL). This
>    follows a concept invoked by DMV's related to license plates.
>    (and a memory jogging by Heather Skanks - thank you!)

Sorry, I just don't see a need for this.  The black hats have plenty
of IP space from DoD and lots of other sources and they're plaing
on their own networks anyway.  This just provides another layer of
headache to ISPs and doesn't benefit the community in any way.
Convenience at concealment for government ops. is the last thing
I want to see expanded under the current administration.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.