[ppml] [narten at us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Peter Sherbin pesherb at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 14:28:03 EDT 2006

> I'm not sure why ... ISPs would give
> up the current Internet settlement regime and move
> back to a pre-1994 telephony settlement regime.

They have no choice. Until recently good old wireline voice has subsidized the
Internet (this is why btw only telcos have survived 2002 meltdown). As wireline goes
away there is no other alternative as to make the Internet profitable. And the
proper way to do it is via settlements. Every independent network reasonably expects
to collect from traversing traffic.

> Back then, telephone companies counted every penny
> of every single point-to-point

They counted minutes not pennies. For telco a minute is a basic cost driver that
suits very well for cost models, billing, pricing, settlements etc. The Internet
equivalent of the minute is one bit. Any prudent ISP would want to count every bit
for each customer for proper billing, settlements, etc.

> On today's Internet, settlements are all bilateral.

Backbone Tier ISPs at the top get the benefit from the rest of the pyramid.
Convenient but imbalanced model.

> nothing to indicate that this will drive them to
> packet counting or any kind of large scale deployment
> of IP accounting.

Say that to a currency trader counting every 1/100 of a percentage point. Or to a
Power Generator charging for every watt. Whoever plays the Internet has to count
bits. An alternative would be going bust.

Cheers,
Peter