[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6 Assignments for End Sites - Last Call

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Mon Apr 17 14:21:08 EDT 2006

>ipv6 swamp can be much smaller, and we should constrain it with all kinds of
>rules about multiple locations, entity-size, requirements for multihoming,
>total allocations per RIR per year.

This is why I swung my vote from 2005-x to the other during the
tag-team presentation in Montreal.  (Ordinarily I wouldn't attach
personal names to this, but I've forgotten which is which, so I'll
say it this way...)

I swung from Owen's to Andrew's proposal during the discussion mostly
because Andrew's requires the use of IPv4 multihoming and Owen's only
requires qualifying for it.  (I hope that I've attributed this
correctly, if not, just reverse the names.)

Ordinarily I think that requiring the use of IPv4 as a gating
function to use IPv6 is a bad idea.  However, in this case it raises
the bar to getting the IPv6 space that poses a threat to global
routing stability.

It seems to me that someone who *is* multihoming in IPv4 is
demonstrating they have a real need.  Someone who isn't, but
*qualifies*, doesn't really have the need and therefore shouldn't be
invited to get the PI space.

The two proposals are similar, there's not a lot of other
significantly distinguishing elements.  So, something as trivial as
"having to do versus having to qualify" swung my emotion in the
meeting.