[ppml] in room "votes"...was Re: PI addressing in IPv6 advances

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Apr 14 11:45:13 EDT 2006

(Regular PPML participants can skip this, it's just an affirmation of
what the "votes" mean to the process.)

At 11:14 -0400 4/14/06, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>On 04/14/06 at 5:07pm +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 14-apr-2006, at 16:57, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>
>>  > 60 voted in favor of moving forward with PI.  6 voted against.
>>
>>  Wow, 10 to 1. Amazing.
>>
>>  Even more amazing: 60 people who represent nobody but their own
>>  paycheck get to blow up the internet.
>
>Did you participate in the process?  Even if you can't justify travel to
>Montreal, the PPML is wide open.
>
>ARIN doesn't go solely by the vote in the room; they also consider whether
>there was consensus on the PPML.

I can't find the previous messages in this thread, so I don't know
who to attribute the comments about the "voting" too.

The "vote" at the meeting is "input to the ARIN Advisory Council."
The ARIN AC formulates the policy proposal from that (as elected
representatives, providing expert review).  The proposed policy isn't
enacted until the Board of Trustees (also [mostly] elected) approves
it.

IOW - the 60-6 vote doesn't mean ARIN has approved PI addressing.
It's a measure of that the in-room attendees feel ought to be done.
PPML expressed opinions also count.  PPML in particular.

See: http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html, quoting:

Advisory Council Review

Following discussion at the ARIN Public Policy Meeting, the Advisory
Council will evaluate the proposal for community support based on
comments from the Public Policy Mailing List as well as discussion
and polling from the meetings....Comments on the Public Policy
Mailing List are given as much weight as those made at the Public
Policy Meeting, as it is recognized the mailing list provides access
to the process that does not require physical presence at a meeting.