[ppml] [narten at us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Apr 14 11:14:51 EDT 2006

On 04/14/06 at 5:07pm +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> On 14-apr-2006, at 16:57, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
> > 60 voted in favor of moving forward with PI.  6 voted against.
>
> Wow, 10 to 1. Amazing.
>
> Even more amazing: 60 people who represent nobody but their own
> paycheck get to blow up the internet.

Did you participate in the process?  Even if you can't justify travel to
Montreal, the PPML is wide open.

ARIN doesn't go solely by the vote in the room; they also consider whether
there was consensus on the PPML.

> Where is ICANN when you need it? This little experiment in playground
> democracy has to end before people get hurt.

I think the ARIN process is closer to the IETF's "rough consensus" process
than to "democracy".

If you think the PI policy ARIN passed will "blow up the internet", I
would encourage you to participate in drafting policy proposals to help
limit the impact of PI on the routing table.  Bear in mind that we didn't
approve an "IPv6 PI for everyone" policy precisely to avoid "blowing up
the Internet": instead we only extended existing IPv4 policy to IPv6.

As I've written before, I'm attempting to draft an ARIN policy proposal to
ensure PI addresses are assigned in a regular fashion instead of the
random chronological fashion we do now with IPv4.  As you seem to support
that, I would encourage you to help draft such a policy proposal and help
get people to support it.

-Scott

P.S. I don't think we need quite so much cross-posting as this...