[ppml] 4.4.2 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 11 11:10:53 EDT 2006

--On April 11, 2006 10:07:41 AM -0400 Scott Leibrand
<sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/06 at 10:00am -0400, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> However, because at least part of the intent of many anycast
>> implementations is to overcome DDoS, it is at least desirable in many of
>> those cases to be able to put your anycast stuff in a block that is not
>> directly associated with your existing infrastructure.
>
> Perhaps.  This strikes me as a "security through obscurity" argument,
> though.

Not exactly.

A lot of DDoS stuff scans contiguous address ranges.  If your
DDoS resistant targets are in a /24 that is part of your larger
blocks, then, the scans are not at all unlikely to spill over
into your non-resistant unicast services.  If your anycast
stuff is in a non-contiguous block, this is less likely.

The overall impact to the routing table remains the same.

>> Just out of curiosity, does the information above address your quibble?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'm having a hard time coming up with any strong opinions
> on this subject.  I think I used them all up on PI.  :)

LOL

Owen