[ppml] 4.4.2 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Mon Apr 10 17:19:29 EDT 2006

Mark and Bill,

I have an unanswered question regarding anycast, namely: why do you need a
micro-allocation to do it?  We've implemented anycast with a subset of a
larger block, and have not run into any problems doing so.  I also have
yet to hear of anyone else who has seen unreachability problems trying to
route a /24 or larger from a larger allocation.

Additional comments inline...

On 04/10/06 at 4:09pm -0400, Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:

> Re: http://arin.net/policy/proposals/2006_5.html
>
> The amendment to allow micro-allocations for anycast services has come
> to my attention and I wanted to take a moment to comment on this and
> express support for this proposal.
>
> As a commercial DNS provider, anycast presents a viable method to
> increase robustness which adds to net stability.

I would agree.

> At present, the minimum allocation requirements pose an obstacle to
> smaller to medium DNS providers who want to test and deploy anycast
> services.

Can you elaborate on this?  I don't see reachability obstacles, as stated
above.  What other obstacles are there to using your existing space to do
anycast?

Thanks,
Scott