[ppml] Privacy of Reassignment Information

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Apr 10 12:13:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:41:45AM -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:
>> Most governments require publication of business addresses, even
>> if those are in private residences. Has that caused problems?
>
> I may be wrong, but I believe they only require the "Primary"
> business address.  That is, if you have 5 offices in town you're
> only required to list one as the primary location with your corporate
> paperwork, the other 4 can be "anonymous" from that perspective.

That is partially correct when those other addresses are residential.
If they are commercial, the records will end up available as you have
to get business license for each office. And in majority of localities
you have to get business license for each residential location as well
if you're using it for business purposes. Similarly you usually have to
get business insurance for both residential and business locations and
in some localities this insurance is public information upon special
requests.

Now in practice of course many small businesses run of their residence
will not fully comply with all the regulations (and almost always get
away with that), but that is another matter.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net