[ppml] Definition of an (IPv6) End Site

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Apr 6 11:19:49 EDT 2006

> Since there is only one end-user that has a business relationship with
me,
> would this only qualify as a single end-site, and thus all 100 locations
> should share a single /48?  Or can I consider each separate network ate
> each separate location an end-site?  In this case I could assign 100
/48s.

The current policy says that the end-site definition is
based on the BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP. Therefore, if the
company chooses to have one unified business relationship
with you, they get one /48. If they choose to maintain
100 business relationships with you and have 100 bills
sent to the 100 separate locations, then they get 100
/48 blocks.

In other words, the current policy allows the customer
to choose. IMHO, this is a good thing. It is not our
business to tell people how to structure their businesses
or how to architect their networks.

Now, we could change the policy to mandate how they structure
their business but I would expect that such a move would
lead to lawsuits when some of those businesses realize that
the mandated business structure leads to financial losses.

10 years ago, we could make ARIN policies the way we
wanted them to be under cover of scarcity constraints
in IPv4. But now those constraints have gone away, the
Internet has grown up and become the mission critical
communications structure for everyone. We no longer are
free to make policies the way we want to in IPv6. We must
now balance the interests of all stakeholders and make
wise policies, even when that means that our personal
favorite set of stakeholders does not get all that they
want. IPv6 does not have the same constraints as IPv6 and
therefore does not provide ARIN and its policymakers with
the same protection from scrutiny that was available with
IPv4.

--Michael Dillon

--Michael Dillon