[ppml] Alternative address distribution systems (was Proposal 2005-8)

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Sep 5 11:50:04 EDT 2005

> What would people here think of allocating part of IPv6 to
> alternative registries?  Would it make a difference in your
> opinion if the registries were national?  Would it make a
> difference in your opinion if the ITU were coordinating?

I think that it is an excellent idea to allocate part of
IPv6 to an alternative registry. However, I am opposed to
doing this through political organizations such as the ITU
or national governments. I think it should be done scientifically
but this does mean that we need to wait until researchers
can scientifically analyze the distribution of IPv6 address
needs throughout the world for the next 50 years or so.

What would help is for the RIR community to define the kind
of research questions that need to be answered in order to
make intelligent plans for IPv6 allocation. Those answers
may show that that an alternate geographical allocation
scheme is needed, or they may show that current allocation
schemes are sufficient, or they may show that some modifications
to current allocation schemes will better meet the needs
of the entire planet in a fair and balanced way.

We don't know the answers to these questions. This create the
vacuum in which political solutions thrive. However, it is
possible to get answers to many of these questions before
we NEED to decide on alternative registry schemes. The prudent
course of action is to encourage and support this research
and to defer the decisions as to the details of any alternative
registry scheme.

--Michael Dillon