[ppml] 2005-1 or its logical successor

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Mon Oct 31 16:51:34 EST 2005

As a starting point, but not all the way through.

> - one-size-fits-all probably isn't useful in the long run.

There doesn't seem to be consensus on this, though those of us
who like CIDR/VLSM seem to agree.

> - host-counts are stupid.

Subnet counts make more sense in IPv6.

> - a strict multi-homing requirement is perfectly reasonable.
> - preexisting IPv4 deployment should qualify you for IPv6 assignment.

Maybe, but not necessarily a direct assignment.

> - the size of the assignment should probably be /48 times the
> number of sites you have already deployed.

Or plan to deploy in the next t months?

> - in order to avoid creative interpretation of "sites," no
> more than one
>   site per metro area should be counted.  That's arbitrary,
> but it's an
>   objectively-verifiable quantity, which is what's needed for the ARIN
>   analyst staff.

That seems a bit odd.  Why this?

Lee