[ppml] 2005-1 or its logical successor

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Sat Oct 29 08:04:44 EDT 2005

 Stephen Sprunk said.....

We really need to get consensus on the definition of "site".  For
instance,
should McDonalds get a block for each city they have a restaurant in,
even
if they're all connected back to a handful of "hub" sites for
{inter|intra}net access?  In contrast, should a Fortune 1000 company
with
large offices in NY, LA, Chicago, and Houston be considered a single
"site"
because they only have four locations of importance?

To me, a "site" is a network, however large, that has complete internal
reachability and is effectively under a single administrative umbrella.
In
fact, it's pretty close to the definition of an Autonomous System, but
that
may be an effect of current/past allocation policies clouding my
thinking.

I believe that the purpose is to provide a PI block to an 'enterprise' that
has a large distributed network and thus needs lots of addresses and
subnetting capability.

So site=enterprise with me.

Bill Darte
ARIN AC