[ppml] Technical error was ( Regarding private residence... )

heather skanks heather.skanks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:02:03 EDT 2005

On 10/24/05, william(at)elan.net <william at elan.net> wrote:

> BTW - All these listings are typically of not much use for "SPAM hunters"
> as spammers are really not going to provide their real addresses for
> public database if they have a choice (and residential privacy policy
> gives this choice), nor is the spam coming from dsl lines is really
> from the users who actually ordered these lines (its all zombies).
> There is however certain value that can be obtained from this
> information for statistical purposes to determine grown rate of
> internet use in specific area.

I disagree, it's possible to have published real addresses -- Set aside the
garbage that comes from dsl/cable modem users - and look only at that which
comes from dedicated connections. With a few exceptions, most spammers don't
get dedicated space directly from the RIR (which would require info to be
public anyway - whether or not the info is good) For a variety of reasons,
it's too expensive, you can't get the blocks swapped and it will get RBL'd
quickly. So they go to their provider, and for suballocations to customers,
don't give them a choice, don't ask them what address and contact info they
want listed. List the info that they gave to turn up the circuit- which
usually turns out to be where their noc is or where the circuit terminates.
I agree that the info isn't of much use to spam hunters (tho it could be
useful to others) - with the exception that it gives you one more point to
find discrepencies or tie organizations together -- and arguably, that
doesn't require the info to be valid.

--heather