[ppml] Technical error was ( Regarding private residence... )

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Oct 24 07:19:27 EDT 2005

> Do you believe it is appropriate for phone companies to publish phone
> books with everyone's name and phone number and with their address?

As I said, the ARIN whois directory is NOT a phone book.

> Now - note that for ip addresses we're not talking about everyone being
> listed, it already only applies to users who get enough ip space to
> qualify for reassignment listing and most of these are not novices but

Most of them? Where is your data?
As I said, we should only have network operators in the
whois directory. There is no advantage to having lots of other
records mixed in there.

> There is however certain value that can be obtained from this
> information for statistical purposes to determine grown rate of
> internet use in specific area.

That is a different question. If the ARIN community felt
that there was some value in using the whois directory for
statistical analyses, then why was there no support for
this proposal?
http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2004_4.html

The relevant parts are section 7. and explanatory point i).

7. The records mentioned in item 6 will not identify the organization or
individual receiving the address block or their exact location. These
records will only indicate an organizational type, the nearest
municipality providing postal service to the end user, state/province and
country.

i) The classification system for organization types has been intentionally
left unspecified. Obviously, it needs to include "individual" as a type
but it could include NAICS sector codes, e.g. "NAICS 25" is the
construction industry. It could also include NTEE codes for non-profits
e.g. "NTEE H" is Medical research. And it could include some simple codes
like "Company", "Non-Profit", "Education", "Government" for users who
don't know about the various classification systems.

If statistical analysis is an important role for the whois
directory then people need to speak up about it.

--Michael Dillon