[ppml] IPv6>>32

David Kessens david.kessens at nokia.com
Mon May 16 17:46:19 EDT 2005

Stephen,

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:48:37AM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> I would classify dorms as "student hotels" and assign a /64 per floor (or
> per building even) unless a student specifically asked for their own /64 or
> /48.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's permitted under existing policy if
> the student is paying the university -- or if a guest is paying a hotel --
> for Internet access.
>
> Extending this to the absurd, if the university (or other ISP) were offering
> service via 802.11, would we still require them to hand out a /48 per
> user/customer?  Are there even any consumer-grade devices that work in such
> a scenario?

I think you read too much in the policy. The policy is very liberal
and intented to be that way. You can assign a /48 if there is a chance
that the end-user/your customer will need more than one /64. In fact,
it is recommended to assign a /48 in that case. However, it is not
required in any way.

Nothing will stop you from being more conservative than the
recommendations in your assignments as an LIR. Whether that is smart
to do is a completely different issue. What the policy describes is
the maximum amount of address space that you can assign to an
end-user/customer without getting in trouble with the RIR. You really
cannot get into trouble with the RIR by being more conservative than
the policy. Obviously, your customer might not agree with you being
more conservative than what is allowed and choose a different provider
if the end-user/customer has a need for more address space.

As for my personal opinion, yes I do think that the policy is perhaps
a bit too generous, especially in the case for more commodity style
Internet services like DSL/cable/dorm rooms/WLAN deployments.
Therefore, I think it would make sense to add a category for this kind
users which would broadly fit into what most people describe as "SOHO"
users.

David Kessens
---