[ppml] IPv6>>32

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 16 14:05:27 EDT 2005

> I think people are confused about whether dorm rooms are
> like private apartments or like hotel rooms. If they are
> like private apartments, then they should get a /48 but if
> they are like hotel rooms, then a /64 should be able to
> service a whole floor if not more. I suspect that the majority
> of dorms are more like student hotels than they are like
> private apartments. In any case, I don't think it is fruitful
> to try to count the number of subnets or hosts in any particular
> room.

Well... Most dorm rooms are occupied for one or more semesters, and, are
rarely available for single night or week-long rentals.  As such, I'd say
they bear much more similarity to an apartment than a hotel room.

How is it that you think they are more like hotels?  My understanding
of the difference between a hotel and an apartment is the normal length
of stay.  Sure, there are residential hotels, but, I think that for this
discussion, those are essentially a form of apartment as well.

Owen