[ppml] IPv6>>32

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon May 16 11:31:57 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:13:26AM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > Your enterprise does not have to be particularly large for renumbering
> > be a complex task.  Imagine even a small company with a couple of
> hundred
> > customers who connect over VPN tunnels.  Now, imagine renumbering all of
> > the virtual addresses used on the client side and all of the tunnel end
> > point addresses for that series of customer connections in order to
> > switch providers.
>
> I'm afraid I can't imagine this since I do not have the IPv6
> operational experience to extrapolate. I do know enough to realize
> thatr my IPv4 experience does not apply. Does anyone here know of
> a resource that explains how IPv6 renumbering is accomplished in
> a real-world operational context? I know that there are many
> medium-sized networks who have gone through IPv6 renumbering recently
> as they transitioned off the 6-bone tunnels and onto native
> IPv6 networks.
>
> --Michael Dillon

	having renumbered both v4 and v6, it has been my experience
	that renubmering v6 networks is much more complex than IPv4...
	if only due to the fact that there are more places in an IPv6
	network that "think" they are supposed to be responsible for
	autoconfiguring everything else in the network. and these nodes
	have to be told to shut up.

--bill