[ppml] Universities (was IPv6>>32)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 15 23:51:51 EDT 2005

hello all,

I think the global policy was worded in a sufficiently vague way to
allow for a wide variety of interpretation.

On 5/14/05, Kevin Loch <kloch at hotnic.net> wrote:
> Owen DeLong wrote:
> > I think by default, each student should get a /64.  If, however, the student
> > expresses need for multiple subnets, then, I think a /48 is exactly what was
> > intended under the policy.
>
> It's not about wether a student needs 65k subnets, it's about wether
> they need 2.  Assigning 2 /64's to a student would violate current
> policy where assigning a /48 would not.

Hmm I read it as not quite that strict:

If "by design" a university network planner wanted to give a /64 to
each student for their mobile devices and another for their room, then
this fits the policy IMO.  Of course, the /64 to the room would be
assigned to the housing entity and not to the students themselves.

> Interestingly, while they could assign a /48 per _student_, they could
> not assign a /48 per _room_.  "Assignments" are made to legal entities
> and show up in swip/rwhois.

not necessarily, my reading of 6.3.3 doesn't mention SWIP/WHOIS or
"legal entities". If I was a planning a university network, I would
assign to /48s to organisational units (Office of Campus Housing for
instance), and then have those units sub-assign /64s to individual
dorm rooms.  However, when submitting my allocation application, I
might be tempted to "plan" to assign a /48 per room/student. ;-)

> If a University was sure they would not be assigning /48's to anyone
> (faculty, on/off campus students, vendors, commercial/industrial
> partners) then a /48 per campus would be all they need.  If they plan on
> assigning /48's then they should get a /32.

sounds reasonable to me, (as long as they are willing to do the things
needed to get an allocation).

> I expect most universities will eventually ask for and receive their
> own /32.  For that reason, reigonal networks that serve them should
> probably not get a large allocation (> /32) based on total downstream
> university customers.

If a university wants to have a relationship with ARIN, they probably
can get a /32.  However, if they want to join a consortium that has
the relationship with the RIR, then I see no problem with this
"regional network" getting a larger block, as v6 allows for more
hierarchy by design.

Cheers,

McTim

nic-hdl:      TMCG