[ppml] Universities (was IPv6>>32)

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Sat May 14 11:03:37 EDT 2005

Owen DeLong wrote:
> I think by default, each student should get a /64.  If, however, the student
> expresses need for multiple subnets, then, I think a /48 is exactly what was
> intended under the policy.

It's not about wether a student needs 65k subnets, it's about wether
they need 2.  Assigning 2 /64's to a student would violate current
policy where assigning a /48 would not.

Interestingly, while they could assign a /48 per _student_, they could
not assign a /48 per _room_.  "Assignments" are made to legal entities
and show up in swip/rwhois.  They only get one /48 per campus for their
own infrastructure, so a /64 per room could be done but a /48 could not.

If a University was sure they would not be assigning /48's to anyone
(faculty, on/off campus students, vendors, commercial/industrial
partners) then a /48 per campus would be all they need.  If they plan on
assigning /48's then they should get a /32.

I expect most universities will eventually ask for and receive their
own /32.  For that reason, reigonal networks that serve them should
probably not get a large allocation (> /32) based on total downstream
university customers.

- Kevin