[ppml] IPv6>>32

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 13 16:05:16 EDT 2005

Thus spake "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com>
> And the policy states that such a situation would be an LIR anyway,
> as they obviously have at least 200 students (external customers)
> subscribing to their IP service.  Voila... They get a /32 anyway.

I agree that's what the letter of the policy states, but I can't imagine
that's what was intended.

Assigning a /48 to each student violates simple common sense.  Yes, I know
there's enough /48s for every human on the planet, but we're going to have
serious problems down the road if we start allocating a /48 for each host,
which is the vast majority of cases in a dorm today and for the conceivable
future.  Burning a /64 per host is bad enough, but I could be convinced to
accept that if Merit said they liked that idea (I personally doubt they do).

Not to mention what actually deploying such a setup would do to the existing
IPv4 addressing plan.  What are the odds ARIN would approve Merit (today,
ignoring their legacy /8) requesting an IPv4 /12 so they could give every
student (38,000 cited elsewhere in the thread) a /29?  That's what we'd be
forcing them to do if they had to provide a subnet per student.

Perhaps some vendor will come out with a whiz-bang device that allows a
shared IPv4 subnet while routing IPv6 natively, but I'm not aware of
anything like that on the market or even proposed for development.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov