[ppml] IPv6>>32

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 13 14:07:04 EDT 2005

--On Friday, May 13, 2005 10:24 AM -0400 "Larry J. Blunk" <ljb at merit.edu>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:31 +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
>> > o Increasing the HD ratio, or a flat utilization threshold fixes
>> >    any possible shortage.  If that doesn't do it, /48 -> /56
>> >    would.  The more I look at the numbers, the more convinced I
>> >    am that /48 should be left alone and a flat threshold be used
>> >    (perhaps 60%).
>>
>> I agree that the /48 --> /56 issue is definitely second priority.
>> If we can solve the immediate problem by adjusting the HD ratio
>> rules then we should limit current action to that area.
>>

>      I think there are other reasons for considering /56's.   Consider,
> for example, university dorms rooms.  Should each of them get a /48?
> The University of Michigan has 5793 dorms and 1483 family housing
> apartments (ref -- http://www.housing.umich.edu/general/factsheet.html).
> You'd need a /35 at a minimum to give everyone a /48 and that wouldn't
> leave much headroom or flexibility in addressing hierarchy.
> Realistically, you probably want to assign a /32.

And the policy states that such a situation would be an LIR anyway, as they
obviously have at least 200 students (external customers) subscribing to
their IP service.  Voila... They get a /32 anyway.

>      Merit provides Internet access for 13 universities and the State
> of Michigan.  Based on the above considerations, we asked for a /28
> from ARIN (enough for a /32 for each university and the state).   Our
> application was denied, and we only received a /32.   What size prefix
> should allocate to the universities (ARIN suggested a /40)?   What
> prefix size should we advise them to assign to dorm rooms?

Since each of them would qualify as an LIR most likely, I see no problem
with
each of them getting a /32 under existing policy and if they wanted to
aggregate within your block, I can see no justification for not approving
a /28 to deal with that.  However, I think that the policy makes it
pretty clear that they could each qualify for a /32 as an LIR direct.
If they can use a /40, that's reasonable, too, depending on each other
university's particular needs.

Owen