[ppml] IPv6>>32

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Fri May 13 12:19:03 EDT 2005

Larry J. Blunk wrote:
>      I think there are other reasons for considering /56's.   Consider,
> for example, university dorms rooms.  Should each of them get a /48?
> The University of Michigan has 5793 dorms and 1483 family housing
> apartments (ref -- http://www.housing.umich.edu/general/factsheet.html).
> You'd need a /35 at a minimum to give everyone a /48 and that wouldn't
> leave much headroom or flexibility in addressing hierarchy.
> Realistically, you probably want to assign a /32.

Under the current policy, if MERIT should only have to demonstrate
38,000 downstream customers (students) to qualify for a /28,
not counting downstream customers of universities that have
their own allocation.

>      Merit provides Internet access for 13 universities and the State
> of Michigan.  Based on the above considerations, we asked for a /28
> from ARIN (enough for a /32 for each university and the state).   Our
> application was denied, and we only received a /32.   What size prefix
> should allocate to the universities (ARIN suggested a /40)?   What
> prefix size should we advise them to assign to dorm rooms?

Under the current policy, each university should easially qualify for
their own /32.

For dorm rooms, universities should be able to assign students
anywhere from nothing (let them use university "assigned" space) or
their own /48.

- Kevin