[ppml] IPv6>>32

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 13 13:55:22 EDT 2005

> I know exactly what the benefits and downsides of NAT are.
> But it runs all the things that I want to run at home
> just fine. For anything else, I have a colocated server
> elsewhere in a nice data centre.
> http://www.vix.com/personalcolo/
>
> I think this is also the pattern followed by Joe User
> although his "server" is likely to be a shared server
> running a blog or a wiki, than my *nix box.

If colo is working for you, great.  I'm not using colo, and, NAT
would definitely break things for me.  Can you point to a single
benefit from NAT (NAT, not ancillary benefits from stateful inspection)
besides synthetic address conservation?(*)

Owen

* I call the address conservation synthetic because it is really address
use optimization.  There still needs to be at least one external 48 bit
address/port for every flow in use at any given time.  Of course, with a
single /32, you usually get enough 48 bit tuples for most household
applications, but, not always.