[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio/ Really public involvment

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri May 13 12:02:51 EDT 2005

I don't think top-posting is the problem.  But I don't mean to harp
on that.  this message is about the "really public involvement" part
of the subject.

Although I am at almost every meeting and have a lot of background in
some parts of the Internet, address allocation is a topic that is
alien to me.  As the discussion has been raging these past few weeks
I have been trying to read every thing and find other materials for
background.

I think one reason there isn't broad input is that fringe players
like me (and those even further out) have a hard time navigating
through all of the threads.  Besides misconstrued and mis-attributed
statements, it's the track of the discussion that is hard to follow.

What would be helpful is an active editor of the discussion, someone
tracking what is said and laying out the discussion for those that
don't live and breath this stuff.  E.g., I've completely lost the
meaning of the subject line "IPv6>>32" - and how does this relate to
a proposed policy?

To get back to why top posting isn't the problem - as I read through
all of the messages, it's the top-posted threads that are the easiest
to follow.  The context is maintained message to message and there is
no need to scroll through the already-been-read-context to find the
two lines of comeback.

Top posting is like putting the exec summary first and then letting
the reader decide how far back to go in the message history before
context is understood.

As someone said recently - it's not the top-posting, it's not the
other, it's the mixing of the two that make it hard to follow.

If you have been reading the list, the rest is something you've
already seen, attached only to give context.