[ppml] IPv6>>32

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri May 13 10:52:54 EDT 2005

Thus spake "Larry J. Blunk" <ljb at merit.edu>
http://www.housing.umich.edu/general/factsheet.html).
> You'd need a /35 at a minimum to give everyone a /48 and that
> wouldn't leave much headroom or flexibility in addressing hierarchy.
> Realistically, you probably want to assign a /32.
>
>      Merit provides Internet access for 13 universities and the State
> of Michigan.  Based on the above considerations, we asked for a /28
> from ARIN (enough for a /32 for each university and the state).   Our
> application was denied, and we only received a /32.   What size prefix
> should allocate to the universities (ARIN suggested a /40)?   What
> prefix size should we advise them to assign to dorm rooms?

Based on a previous response to me, individual customers within a single
building are apparently not considered "sites".  Either way, I'd be
assigning a /64 per dorm building or per floor -- not per room -- unless
ARIN forced me to assign more.  From there you can determine what each
university needs (presumably a /48).

Thanks for the info on your application being denied; it's useful to have
real-world examples of policies' effects even if only anecdotal.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov