[ppml] IPv6>>32

Larry J. Blunk ljb at merit.edu
Fri May 13 10:24:55 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:31 +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > o Increasing the HD ratio, or a flat utilization threshold fixes
> >    any possible shortage.  If that doesn't do it, /48 -> /56
> >    would.  The more I look at the numbers, the more convinced I
> >    am that /48 should be left alone and a flat threshold be used
> >    (perhaps 60%).
>
> I agree that the /48 --> /56 issue is definitely second priority.
> If we can solve the immediate problem by adjusting the HD ratio
> rules then we should limit current action to that area.

     I think there are other reasons for considering /56's.   Consider,
for example, university dorms rooms.  Should each of them get a /48?
The University of Michigan has 5793 dorms and 1483 family housing
apartments (ref -- http://www.housing.umich.edu/general/factsheet.html).
You'd need a /35 at a minimum to give everyone a /48 and that wouldn't
leave much headroom or flexibility in addressing hierarchy.
Realistically, you probably want to assign a /32.

     Merit provides Internet access for 13 universities and the State
of Michigan.  Based on the above considerations, we asked for a /28
from ARIN (enough for a /32 for each university and the state).   Our
application was denied, and we only received a /32.   What size prefix
should allocate to the universities (ARIN suggested a /40)?   What
prefix size should we advise them to assign to dorm rooms?

 -Larry Blunk
  Merit