[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Wed May 11 14:15:36 EDT 2005

I think youre referring to 'status quo'. Status quo is intimidating
to new and old people alike and is generally a bad thing, as you
say.

[ SNIP ]

> 1. Make a member-only list and add at least one
> contact person for each member. Offer every member
> the possibility to have other people from their
> organization added to the list. In the interests
> of transparency, archive it in a publicly accessible
> form so that all can read but only members can post.
> No doubt, if the public wishes to comment, they will
> take the discussion to the PPML.

Mm. That seems additionally divisive and elitist to me
and contrary to the air of open-ness that the Internet
tends to operate in for at least as long as I've been
around - which results in lack of participation because
a "lesser" class is created. Member only meeting/voting
is good enough seperation for me.

> 2. Assign a staff member to actively solicit participation
> on the PPML from non-member organizations who could or
> should have an interest in IP addressing. Actively embrace
> organizations like the NANPA council and the ITU who,
> have different perspectives and experience. I wonder how
> many of you have read the NANPA address allocation policies
> and examined their reporting spreadsheets. I know that
> IP addresses are not phone numbers, but understanding how
> other groups do their work provides perspective.

I'm quite familiar with NANPA. I think it's more productive
for the majority to focus. A few of us familiarized with NANPA,
et. al. should suffice as a good reference point, IMO. That
certainly doesn't stop anyone from doing it, but consider this
a touch of dissuasion.

> > My feeling is that ARIN gets less participation than you or
> I or all of
> ARIN
> > would like, because people do not perceive themselves to be
> negatively
> > affected.
>
> I agree. But it is a bad trend for ARIN as an organization
> especially now that the authority of ARIN and all RIRs is
> being openly questioned in the ITU and the United Nations.
> It is not wise to wait for angry people who are negatively
> affected to demand ARIN action. We need to be more proactive
> so that ARIN is seen to be *MANAGING* IP addressing rather
> than merely reacting.

A little Occams Razor here. More participation
and open-ness should address this. The question then comes
back around to simply 'how to get more people participating'.

-M<